Theory of Change
Together, the Alliance seeks to improve rural livelihoods and natural resource management in key region of the Tropics through innovative approaches to low-emission rural development (LED-R). These approaches emphasize locally informed and designed solutions that integrate into or can scale up to sub-national and national level policies and programs.
what is low-emission rural development?
Characteristics of LEd-R
- Climate stability is an explicit goal
- Encompasses heterogeneous regions or jurisdictions (natural or political)
- Engages key actors through multi-sector, participatory, and bottom-up approaches
- Transforms systems & institutions for governing natural resources
- Empowers local institutions to drive positive change
why led-R? a framework for large-scale, bottom-up solutions
- Top-down strategies for slowing deforestation and reducing greenhouse gas emissions are failing to improve well-being
- Innovative, holistic approaches are needed that integrate climate change mitigation and adaptation goals with the concerns for human well-being that are at the heart of sustainable development agenda
- Solutions to deforestation and other challenges must be anchored in local cultures, economies, and policies
- LED-R is sustainable development, with an eye towards climate change
What We've Achieved
STA partners have celebrated some major successes in promoting LED-R throughout the Tropics:
- Protecting 5000+ hectares of forest area in Peru under agreements with key stakeholders.
- Signing of a 4-party MOU with STA partner Inovasi Bumi, the Central Kalimantan provincial government, the Seruyan district government, and the Indonesian Palm Oil Pledge companies in support of a jurisdictional certification approach for palm oil.
- Building capacity of key government staff in Mato Grosso to implement Brazil's national Forest Code.
- Planting more than 51 million trees in Kenya to support critical hydrological services and help communities adapt to local impacts of climate change.
- Supporting the creation of an alliance of 7 state Ministries of Environment to develop LED-R strategies in Mexico.
- Launching an accessible and transparent online monitoring platform to track progress against deforestation and social targets in Mato Grosso.